Although I don't have a "Tandoor" (cylindrical clay oven used for cooking & baking) at my place, the modern tandoor a.k.a oven (convection oven) works just fine to get us an equally delicious tikka.
500gms Paneer cut into cubes
1/2 red capsicum cut in cubes
1/2 green capsicum cut in cubes
1/2 red onion cut in cubes
2 tomatoes & cut in cubes (use only the sides not the pulp)
1 cup of curd
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp amchur
1/2-1 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp Tandoori masala (optional)
1/2 tsp kasoori methi
1 tbsp of lemon juice
salt & pepper to taste
Some butter/oil to baste
5-6 Bamboo skewers
Baking tray lined with Aluminium Foil & coated with Oil.
Take a cheese cloth & pour 1 cup of curd in this, tie it tight so that the water from the curd starts to drip. Hang this curd for around 2 hours or till the water has completed drained off
Tip:If we don't hang the curd, the water in the curd will make the marinate runny & watery. Hung curd results in thick marinate.
- In a bowl, take this hung curd & to it add all the ingredients listed under marinate to make a smooth paste.
- Divide this marinate into two bowls. One for paneer & other for the veggies. This helps to avoid the paneer from crumbling when we mix.
- Mix well so that the veggies and paneer have a good coating of the marinate. Cover & let this marinate for about 2-3 hours. More the better.
- Dip the bamboo skewers in ice cold water for about 1 hour. This prevents them from burning.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Take one skewer at a time & start arranging the veggies & paneer. Start with tomato followed by green capsicum then paneer, onion & red capsicum (use any combination of your choice).
- Repeat this till you reach the end of skewer. Continue this process for the remaining skews & line them on a baking tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven & bake for about 15-20 mins.
- Baste the tikka with butter intermittently to prevent it from turning hard.
- You know your Paneer tikka is done when the sides of paneer have turned slightly brown.