Conchiglie is commonly known as shell pasta which is clearly evident why from its 'shape'. I prefer to use this pasta type for this dish as the shell shape helps to hold the sauce better but you could use any pasta of your choice.
2 cups of Conchiglie (shell pasta)
2-3 medium cups of tomatoes finely chopped
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
4-5 garlic finely chopped or minced
1/4 cup of fresh basil leaves coarsely chopped (reserve few for garnishing)
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup of cheese (I used 1/4 cup mozzarella & 1/4 cup of Parmigiano Reggiano)
1 tbsp of oil
- In a large vessel, boil sufficient quantity of water & season it well with salt. Add pasta & cook as per package instructions. Drain the pasta, sprinkle some oil & mix to avoid the pasta from sticking to each other. Keep aside.
- In a pan, add oil & along with it add the finely chopped garlic. As the oil starts heating the garlic will infuse its flavor in the oil. Once oil is hot add the chopped onions & saute till translucent pink
- Add the tomatoes, salt & pepper. Mix well & cook covered for 5 mins. Tomatoes will turn slightly soft.
- Now add the basil leaves & cook till the tomatoes get very soft forming a paste consistency.
- Add the boiled pasta & mix well, cover & cook for 2 mins so that everything is well incorporated.
That's it, our delicious tangy pasta is ready. Serve it hot topped with some Parmigiano Reggiano & basil leaves.