Masoor Palak is a traditional dish that my mom & granny make on regular basis. What I like about it is, its delicious & at the same time fully packed with nutrition. Masoor is brown-skinned lentils which are orange inside. They are high & inexpensive source of proteins like any other member of lentil family. Spinach (Palak) on the other hand is well known for its antioxidants properties & as rich source of Iron & other vitamins. So together Masoor Palak forms a very nutritious & healthy meal.
1 cup of whole Masoor
1 bunch of spinach leaves finely chopped (remove the stem use leaves only)
1 medium size onion finely chopped
2 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
2 garlic cloves pressed/crushed (or chopped finely)
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1-2 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
Soak the masoor (lentils) overnight & then cook (either in pressure cooker or open vessel) in 4 cups of water & some salt till done & soft. Drain & keep aside any excess water you have after masoor is cooked & use it later to adjust the curry consistency.
- Heat oil in vessel & once hot add the cumin seeds, when they splutter add garlic. Saute till you start getting the garlic aroma (approximately after a min). Then add the onions , asafoetida & saute again.
- Once the onions are translucent, add tomatoes & cook with lid on for 5 mins or till tomatoes turn soft.
- Once the tomatoes are soft add all the ingredients listed under Masala & saute till the are well combined.
- Add Spinach, salt & cook for 5 mins or till spinach is cooked.
- Add the boiled masoor (lentils) & mix well. Add water (if required) to adjust the curry consistency. Simmer on low heat for about 5 mins.
- That's its, our nutritious Masoor Palak is ready.
This Lentils curry with Spinach can be served with Roti/Chapati/Indian bread/Rice, but I also relish this curry on its own like soup. Try it!!
Sending this recipe to events:
Show Me Your Hits-Legumes and Lentils Event Announcement
(Sangeetha's Original Events page)