Vanilla Sponge Cake with Ice cream & Mixed Berries is a great dessert made with the combination of Vanilla sponge cake, ice-cream & marinated berries.
It just happened that I had some fresh berries & some Vanilla sponge cake available. So thought why not try some dessert combination using these. This recipe is based on Vanilla theme, but you could do this with any flavor cake/ice-cream of your choice. I like to marinate the berries in some sugar & orange juice to get a nice juicy berry syrup to complete this dessert combination.
1 pack of mixed berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries & blueberries.
few slices of Basic Vanilla sponge cake or any cake of your choice.
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of half orange
1-2 tbsp sugar
Some scoops of Vanilla ice-cream
To Marinate the Berries:
- Cut the strawberries in to half or quarter size pieces so that all the berries are almost same size.
- Now take all the berries in a bowl & add to them orange zest, sugar & juice of an orange. Mix well.
- Cover & marinate the berries for minimum of half an hour and maximum of 3 hours. This marination will help to make a nice sugary berry syrup which we can top our dessert with.
- Take a slice of Vanilla sponge cake & heat it in microwave for about 20-30 seconds so that it becomes warm.
- Arrange this warm vanilla cake slice in a bowl/dessert plate. This is our first layer.
- Top it with 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- Follow it with 1-2 tbsp of marinated berries. Drizzle some marination syrup over the ice-cream to enhance the flavor.
- That's it our Vanilla sponge cake with Ice-cream & mixed berries is ready to serve.