Enjoy this protein packed lentils curry!!
3/4 cup of chana dal (yellow gram)
1/2 cup of split black urad dal (black lentils)
1-2 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp green chili paste
1/2 tsp kasoori methi
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp dry mango powder (amchur)
1/2 tbsp of coriander powder
1/4 tsp garam masala
- Soak the Chana Dal & split black urad dal for 30 mins, drain & cook in pressure cooker with 4 cups of water,salt & black cardamom till about done. (I usually give 4-5 whistles).
- Allow the steam to go away completely before opening the pressure cooker lid.
- Tip: you can also cook this dal in open vessel, just that with pressure cooker its quick.
- In a vessel, heat some oil & once hot add the cumin seeds. When they splutter add the garlic paste & saute for a minute till the raw garlic smell disappears.
- Then add the onions & saute till they turn translucent.
- Add the ginger & green chili paste & saute for a minute.
- Now add the tomatoes,salt & cook covered till the tomatoes turn soft. (Be careful when you add salt as you have added salt while cooking dal)
- Add all the ingredients listed under masala & mix well. Saute till this onion tomato masala starts oozing oil from the sides.
- Add this onion tomato masala in the cooked dal & mix.
- Crush some kasoori methi in your palms & add it to this dal for extra flavor.
That's it out Maa chole ki Dal is ready. Garnish with some coriander & ginger juliennes & serve with rice/roti/chapati or any indian bread of your choice.