Couple of years ago I started feeling saturated with the usual (read lazy) breakfast options, and I was compelled to start exploring new breakfast options, to feed my soul with freshness to begin my day. And that is when I discovered my Sevai (Vermicelli) Upma recipe. Basically I added the main ingredient vermicelli from the regular sweet dish my mom makes (Sevai kheer) to the Maggi recipe my granny makes. Ever since I made this, we all have been hooked to it, so much so that it is present atleast once a week on our breakfast table.
1/2 cup of sevai (vermicelli)
1/2 medium sized onion finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
2 green chilies finely chopped
few curry leaves
pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 tbsp lemon juice (or to taste)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin seed powder
1/4 tsp garam masala (optional)
- Boil 2-3 cups of water & add the vermicelli to it along with some salt.
- Cook till they are done (as they cook they will expand in size).
- Drain & soak in cold water to prevent them from cooking further.
- Drain again & sprinkle some oil & mix to prevent them from sticking. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil & when hot add the cumin seeds, when they splutter add the green chilies & curry leaves. Be careful as the spluttering will increase.
- Add the onions & asafoetida. Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes & saute for a minute.
- Then add all the ingredients listed under 'Masala' along with salt. Mix well & cook for a minute.
- Add the cooked & drained vermicelli. Mix thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice & garnish with some coriander leaves. Mix till all is well combined. Cover & cook for a minute.
That's it, super easy & delicious breakfast Sevai (Vermicelli) Upma is ready. Serve hot!!