Now I always had this question & am sure many of you would have had the same - what is the difference between muffin & cupcake??? After some research & baking some muffins & cupcakes myself I can now differentiate them broadly. Usually cupcakes are mini cakes i.e. cake batter baked in cupcake pans & are sweet & meant to be iced or frosted. Also cupcakes are mainly served as dessert & not as breakfast item but hey this is not a hard and fast rule!! On the other hand, Muffins are usually served as breakfast or snack item & are more like mini bread which can be sweet or savory. Hope this helps!!
1/2 cup of milk at room temperature
1/2 cup of condensed milk at room temperature
1/2 cup butter at room temperature
2-3 tbsp of sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 to 1& 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp of sour cream
For Cream cheese frosting:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
8 oz cream cheese
3-4 cups of confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Decorative bags/Piping cone (I've used the plastic disposable decorative bags)
To make Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl whisk together butter & condensed milk.
- Next add milk, sugar, vanilla extract, vinegar & sour-cream & whisk again
- Sift all the dry ingredients together. Now add some flour at a time & whisk. Continue doing this till you have mixed all the flour & you have a lump free batter.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line your cupcake pan with liners. Pour a spoonful or two of the batter into the liners so that its 3/4 full. Don't fill till the top as the cupcakes will rise.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 10-15 mins or till completely done.
- At 12 minutes mark, Insert a toothpick at the center of a cupcake, if it comes out clean that means our cupcakes are done. Transfer them on to a cooling rack & allow to cool completely.
To make Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a bowl combine the cheese & butter till soft & fluffy.
- Then add the sugar, one cup at a time & keep stirring till all is well combined.
- When you are finished adding the sugar add the vanilla extract & mix. That's it our cream cheese frosting is ready.
- Transfer the frosting into the decorative/piping bag & using a circular motion of your hand starting with the outside & moving inside & upwards create a cone line shape on the cupcake using the frosting.
- Decorate with some colored mini balls if you like.
- Ideally don't use butter & cream cheese that is at room temperature as that will make this frosting running.
- If you still end up having a liquidy frosting, refrigerate the frosting for an hour or two to get the perfect consistency frosting.
- Frost only once your cupcakes have cooled down completely else it will cause the frosting to melt.
- You can store the cupcake in airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. You can serve them straight from the refrigerator & they are still soft & fluffy.
That's it our Vanilla Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting are ready, Enjoy this delicious treat!!
Stay in-touch with the latest happenings of my Kitchen :)
♥ Like "ShwetaintheKitchen" on Facebook!
♥ Follow "ShwetainKitchen" on twitter!
Sending this recipe to events:
Bake Fest #11 (Bake Fest)