Every cook loves the concept of reusability and creativity, but how about utilizing both at the same time! I had some urad dal batter left from my Dahi bhalle/vada preparation, so thought of making some crispy medu vada's from it. But then I thought of adding some twist & more flavor to it, thus the outcome Cabbage Vada/Wada.
Monday, July 23, 2012
I always think I'll get more time to spend on my blog on weekends than weekdays but somehow its always the other way round. This weekend I made Stuffed Capsicum in Tomato gravy & it was delicious. This dish has all my favorites from Indian cuisine - potato, paneer as stuffing & tomato gravy.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Dahi Bhalla or Dahi Vada is a immensely popular Indian chaat dish. Its basically lentil (urad dal) fritters (pakodas) dunked in whipped creamy yogurt and topped with sweet and spicy chutney and some spices. Its tastes best served cold.
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Conchiglie in Tomato & Basil sauce is a basic Italian pasta recipe made using classic combination of tomato & basil leaves. Am a total fan of tomato & basil combination. The tangyness of tomato & sweet flavor of basil strikes the right balance be it a Tomato soup or a pasta sauce like I am making one today.
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Sunday, July 15, 2012
After Vegetable noodles here is another Indo Chinese recipe - Gobi (Cauliflower) Manchurian. Indo-Chinese because it’s not an authentic Chinese dish but a creation using Chinese cooking style & seasoning to suit Indian taste palate. This is a very popular appetizer & a must taste.
Thursday, July 12, 2012
Masoor Palak is a traditional dish that my mom & granny make on regular basis. What I like about it is, its delicious & at the same time fully packed with nutrition. Masoor is brown-skinned lentils which are orange inside. They are high & inexpensive source of proteins like any other member of lentil family. Spinach (Palak) on the other hand is well known for its antioxidants properties & as rich source of Iron & other vitamins. So together Masoor Palak forms a very nutritious & healthy meal.
Monday, July 9, 2012
Basic Chocolate Cake - Eggless is very simple cake recipe that can be used as base for many dessert varieties. I have kept the toppings simple by just using whipped cream & chocolate syrup, but you can decorate it much as you like, sky is the limit!
Saturday, July 7, 2012
Potato Cheese Corn Balls brings back my good old school time memories. My best friend & I frequented a place down in south Mumbai & cheese corn balls was one among our regular orders, esp our all-time-favorite combination order of cheese corn balls, onion rings, enchilada, nachos & pizza. Ice on the cake, we used to complete the meal by ordering a sizzling brownie sundae. Slurppp!!
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Batatyachi Bhaji (Aloo ki sabji/Potato dish) is my staple food, I just love the way my mom makes it. Me and my sister never got bored of it. For me, no fancy lunch/dinner combo can beat the simple yet tasty combination (traditional maharashtrian menu) of Varan bhat, Babtyachi bhaji, chapati ,achar, papad & salad.
This Sabji tastes great with roti/chapati or use it as filling for your sandwiches or even as the masala for you dosa. And if that's not all, when I have some left from my dinner the previous night (which is usually rare) I use it to make Aloo paratha's, they taste amazing. Try it.
3 medium sized potatoes - peeled, boiled & cut into cubes
1 medium sized onion cut in julienne
1/2 capsicum cut in cubes (optional)
3-4 small green chilies (as per taste)
1/2 tsp Rai (black mustard seeds)
1/4 tsp Methi dana (Fenugreek seeds)
1 tsp of coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Few curry leaves
pinch of hing
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1-2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp sugar
salt to taste
coriander for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan & once hot add the rai & methi dana. Once they splutters add cumin seeds, curry leaves & green chilies. Mix & immediately add the onions. Saute.
- Once onions are translucent, add hing, garlic & saute for 2 mins or till raw garlic smell disappears.
- Then add turmeric, coriander powder & capsicum, cook till capsicum is partially done.
- Now add the potatoes followed by salt & sugar. Mix well so that all the potato pieces get well coated with the masala. Cover & cook for 5 mins.
- Finally add lemon juice & sprinkle coriander leaves, mix & again cook fo 2 mins.
That's it our Batatyachi Bhaji is ready. Garnish with some more coriander leaves & serve it hot with Chapati/Roti or any Indian bread of your choice.
Sunday, July 1, 2012
Vanilla Sponge Cake with Ice cream & Mixed Berries is a great dessert made with the combination of Vanilla sponge cake, ice-cream & marinated berries.
It just happened that I had some fresh berries & some Vanilla sponge cake available. So thought why not try some dessert combination using these. This recipe is based on Vanilla theme, but you could do this with any flavor cake/ice-cream of your choice. I like to marinate the berries in some sugar & orange juice to get a nice juicy berry syrup to complete this dessert combination.
1 pack of mixed berries like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries & blueberries.
few slices of Basic Vanilla sponge cake or any cake of your choice.
Juice of 1 orange
Zest of half orange
1-2 tbsp sugar
Some scoops of Vanilla ice-cream
To Marinate the Berries:
- Cut the strawberries in to half or quarter size pieces so that all the berries are almost same size.
- Now take all the berries in a bowl & add to them orange zest, sugar & juice of an orange. Mix well.
- Cover & marinate the berries for minimum of half an hour and maximum of 3 hours. This marination will help to make a nice sugary berry syrup which we can top our dessert with.
- Take a slice of Vanilla sponge cake & heat it in microwave for about 20-30 seconds so that it becomes warm.
- Arrange this warm vanilla cake slice in a bowl/dessert plate. This is our first layer.
- Top it with 1 or 2 scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- Follow it with 1-2 tbsp of marinated berries. Drizzle some marination syrup over the ice-cream to enhance the flavor.
- That's it our Vanilla sponge cake with Ice-cream & mixed berries is ready to serve.