A year back or so, I stumbled upon this recipe on the label of my condensed milk tin. Like a typical foodie, I saved it and tried it later. These bars turned out absolutely yumm so I knew I had to share it with you all sometime. It had been long since I baked something recently and while browsing through my pantry I saw the graham cracker box so was the perfect time to make and the share the recipe. As you can tell from the ingredients these are definitely not for those watching their calorie intake but a small portion will definitely not hurt. Just to add a healthy spin on these I added a couple of tbsp of milled flax seed powder which is a totally optional step. Irrespective of flax-seed, these small bites are perfect as after school snacks for kids/adults. Or as snack/dessert for a potluck party. These stay good for week or so when stored in airtight container in refrigerator. But a warning these are totally addictive.
Now to the recipe...
Ingredients: (Makes 2-3 dozen bars)
1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs or about 10-11 slabs of crackers (each contains 2 biscuits as seen in the pic below)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (melted)
2-3 tbsp milled flax-seed powder (optional)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts (or any nuts of choice)
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
In a bowl mix together the walnuts,sweetened shredded coconut and chocolate chips. Keep aside.
Place the graham cracker slabs in a zip-lock bag and using a rolling pin crush them into fine crumbs.
In the lined and sprayed baking pan, add the crumbs, flax-seed powder and pour the melted butter over them . Mix well. Spread evenly and press firmly to the bottom of the pan.
Now pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the pressed crumb mixture. Lastly sprinkle the coconut, walnut and chocolate chips mixture evenly over the condensed milk and press down firmly. Bake for 25- 30 mins or until lightly golden brown. Cool completely in the pan and then lift the entire slab holding on to the parchment paper. Cut into squares of desired length.
- I prefer to mix the coconut walnut and chocolate chips together and then add them. But you could also layer them individually with the chocolate coconut and nuts layer or any order of your preference.
- I have used walnuts but you could use any nut of choice like pecans etc
- If you like to have it less sweeter, add unsweetened shredded coconut instead
- Pour the condensed milk evenly and don't try spreading it with a spoon or spatula. Chances are you may pull off the crumbs layer.
- I prefer to mix white a semi sweet chocolate chips but you can use only one type of chips too
- Once cooled, I prefer to store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
That's it, our gooey chewy Magic Cookie Bars are ready. Enjoy these on their own or with a glass of cold milk as an after-school/office snack or as quick dessert.