Arugula has a bold nutty flavor to it which I absolutely love but if you don't then you could replace the arugula with any green of your choice like spinach, kale, lettuce etc. The other option would be to skip the greens but I wouldn't recommend that as that adds a lot of texture to this sandwich. The overall feel of this sandwich is cool but if you like some heat/spice then add some red chilli flakes to the cream cheese spread Or alternately add some pickled jalapenos to the sandwich. Adding a cheese slice is other option to make it rich and filling
Now to the recipe...
Ingredients: (Makes 4 sandwiches)
8 slices of white sandwich bread with sides cut (or any bread of choice)
Chaat masala to taste
salt and pepper to taste
Arugula leaves washed and dried
1/2 cucumber (approx 5 inch long) peeled and cut into thin round slices
For the cream cheese spread :
6 oz (approx 5 tbsp) of cream cheese softened at room temp
1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
dash of pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dry parsley flakes
- Instead of plain cream cheese you can also use flavored one like onion and chive.
- The cream cheese spread can be stored covered in the refrigerator for couple of days.
- I have used white sandwich bread but you could use whole wheat, multigrain or any of choice.
- Cutting the edges off the slice bread is completely optional.
- If you are planning to make this sandwich ahead of time then keep these covered or wrap these with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying.
That's it, our creamy and cool Arugula Cucumber Cream Cheese Sandwiches are ready. Cut them in half or into 4 squares/triangle. Serve these with a hot cup of Tea. Enjoy!!